I'm in a funk y'all.
Ever have one of those times where that thing you love to do, that you are known for, that thing that is your passion is suddenly stripped away? I'm at a Choral Conducting course in Ireland where I'm supposed to give a workshop on vocal technique and 15+ voice lessons and I came down hard with Laryngitis the day I got here. Poop.
To be honest, even though I'm sad about it, I have to laugh at the irony! A vocal technique workshop with the silent/squeaky door diva!!! It's a real hoot I tell ya...( I wish I could hoot. )
The organisers of the course are being so kind and flexible, even took me to the doc to see what could be done. There is absolutely no pressure being applied by anyone but myself... but man, could I just give myself a break for a second? It's out of my hands! I am doing everything I can and should to mend quickly! Back off, SELF!!!
So, what do you do when you can't do the thing you love?
Here is my personal checklist:
1. Pretend it's a dream and will all go away the next morning.
2. Really give it your all in the "get better quick!" Department.
3. Cry about it when #2 doesn't work. This really helps... especially when hydration is key to your recovery. 😑
4. Watch Netflix for 475 hours.
5. Do a little soul searching.
6. Decide there is more to life than that thing you can't do. There will always be things you can and can't do. Like speak French... Say la vee.
7. Seek out the things you can do and get inspired!
8. Do them!! No time for Pity Parties here!! Life is for living!!
*(Steps 1-4 are optional)
Love you guys. You got this. ❤️